Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Winter Came and Went

OK. I'm a terrible blogger. I haven't had a new post since last fall. That's OK, though, since the only readers at this point are those I notify of new posts. I promise I'll try to get better at this.

It's June, and although winter should seem like a faint memory, it isn't. Not with temps in the mid-40s again. This past weekend I went on my regular 100-mile Sunday ride with the Flanders guys and "enjoyed" a cool mist and lots of wind. It wasn't so bad until I had to leave early to get back to our sitter and headed back home into a stiff headwind. After flatting twice, with no patch or pump at hand, I had to call a friend for a ride home from East Union (45 miles from home). Not my finest hour as a cyclist.

But this post is meant to provide a brief recap about my winter experience; and an experience it was. This was my first season as a year-round commuter, and it takes a little (a lot) more commitment to ride through winter in Minnesota it does for my west coast brethren (Jeremy, et. al).

That said, I had a blast -- and I mean it. My goals each year have been to ride 1,000 more miles than each year prior, and to drop my temperature threshold by 10 degrees. So, last year's goal was 4,000 miles for the year and a commitment to ride anytime the temperature was above 30 degrees. I beat both goals by a longshot, finishing with 5,200 miles and riding in temps as low a zero!

To prepare for the season, I picked up a used cyclocross bike -- a Bianchi Axis with some nice knobby tires. I didn't find it necessary to use studded tires under most conditions, though I had a couple of dicey rides in the late winter when a thaw and re-freeze left the bike paths particularly icy. The bike performed really well except for a few particularly "slushy" days when I wished I'd had a single-speed. The rear cassette became totally useless when frozen slush formed on it and prevented it from shifting.

Here's a photo of me with Jim Flanders (owner of Flanders Bros. bikes in Minneapolis) and Jack Stack, English professor, Flanders club comedian and strong all-around rider. The weather here was 6 degrees above zero and we put in about 30 miles.

I learned quite a bit this year by riding in such conditions. Surprisingly, you don't need to wear much more on your body for 10 degree weather than you do for 30 degree weather. You do, however, need to focus on keeping your extermeties warm. All I ever wore for my core was a long-sleeve Craft cool-weather base layer, long-sleeve jersey and a relatively thin shell (as shown in the photo). Feet require special attention. On the coldest days I'd have thick wool socks, chemical toe warmers, Lake winter shoes and neoprene shoe covers. Likewise, to keep my hands warm in really cold weather I used an oversized pair of REI mittens with wool glove liners and chemical hand warmers.

One of the main challenges was actually to avoid overheating, especially when stopped (even momentarily). I would often stop midway on my commute to work (25 miles roundtrip) at my favorite cafe, and I'd have to quickly remove my helmet, balaclava (with helmet hat on top) and neoprene facemask. Then I'd quickly take off my jacket and unzip my jersey.

I'll pass along some more tips as winter 2009 approaches. Hopefully by then I'll have my 6,000 miles for the year!

No comments: