Thursday, April 17, 2008

Season-Starting California Tour

I just returned from a short but sweet 3-day bike trip in California. I'm a big proponent of inaugurating your "season" with a big event of some kind. Each year I plan a spring bike trip with my brother, Jeremy, who lives in Mountain View. It's one of the few times each year I get to see him, and it provides much time on the bike (and at cheap hotels) to catch up.

[Photo: A break along the Big Sur Coast before our big climb. From left: Don, Paul, Fred (me), and Jeremy]

Several years ago, when cycling began to take over my life, I convinced Jeremy to buy a road bike. Fortunately I had some help on the campaign from Jeremy's co-worker and eventual cycling partner, Don. Since then, Jeremy, Don and I (accompanied at times by others) have taken a mini-tour each spring. Each tour is structured essentially the same way. I fly in around noon on day one and we do a short 30-40 mile tune-up ride that afternoon. Days 2 and 3 are harder, with 60-75 miles and more climbing. It's been a great way to start the biking season. To date we've toured Sonoma (CA), Scottsdate/Sedona/Flagstaff (AZ) and now Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur/King City (CA).

This year we were joined by Don's friend Paul, who served as our lead tour guide. Paul rides the route we took a few times each year with his son. In addition to his expert guiding skills Paul is a great conversationalist. I know all three of us would agree we hope Paul can join us for any and all future tours.

Here are a few photos Paul took during the trip (thanks Paul!). I'll update this post soon with a map and additional information about our route.

The Big Sur Coast looking north, toward the Bixby Bridge. The Tour of California crossed this bridge a few weeks earlier.


Enjoying a delicious breakfast at Deetjen's. Try the oatmeal!

A view of one of California's famous 21 missions, San Antonio de Padua, near Jolon, CA.



Another nice coastal view, compliments of Paul (a fine photographer).

2 comments:

Red & White Cigarettes said...

Yesterday I visited your blog and liked it very much! I have found a lot of really interesting and useful information there! The time I have spent reading was wonderful and I may say that you’ve done a great job! There are also wonderful photos! I’ve immediately added your blog to my favorite links and will enter it any time when in need of something positive. Thanks a lot!

Paul said...

The mission pictured is Mission San Antonio de Padua. It was one of the earliest missions built by Father Junipero Serra, and, unlike many other California Missions is located in a rural area. The gardens have been very nicely restored.